Vertex Large Box Direct Shear Apparatus test, the failure of the soil sample in shear is caused along a predetermined plane. Test is performed as per IS 2720 part XIII The normal load, strain and shearing force are measured directly during the test. It is also used to estimate residual stress of soil. The direct shear testing apparatus utilizes a square box divided horizontally into two halves. The box containing the sample is placed in a water jacket and subjected to constant normal load while a horizontal force is applied till the specimen fails along the plane of juncture of the two halves. A number of specimens are tested under different loads and from the data obtained the angle of internal friction and shearing strength of the soil can be evaluated. Following pages give details of both hand operated and motorised versions of direct shear test apparatus conforming to different Indian Standard Specifications.
This is required for testing 300 mm x 300 mm x 150 mm soil sample containing gravel with particle size more than 4.75 mm.
100mm shear box assembly complete with porous stone and gripper plate The unit provides 72 different constant rates of strain for shear load ranging from 0.0014 mm/min. to 10.16 mm/min and is suitable for carrying out residual shear strength test.
The equipment comprises of the following :-
- Loading Unit having a normal load capacity of 3 kg/cm² through lever and shearing load capacity upto 5000 kg maximum.
- Shear box assembly in two halves, complete with two guide pins and three spacing screws.
- Shear box housing, complete with two ball roller strips.
- Two perforated gripper plates.
- Two plain gripper plates.
- Two plain grid plates, one for top and one for bottom.
- Two perforated grid plates one for top and one bottom.
- One base plate.
- One loading pad with lifting handles.
- One set of slotted weights to give a maximum normal stress intensity of 3 kg/cm² on the specimen through lever system.
Suitable for operation on 220 V, 50 Hz, single phase supply. Supplied without Proving Ring and dial gauges which are to be ordered separately.